Hand Holding at GMB
GMB regularly carries out various activities as a part of its Social Responsibility at Gandhinagar and at various ports under its administration. Following are the details of the activities carried out by GMB:
- Alang Ship Recycling yard is Asia's biggest ship recycling yard. For the safety, environmental education and awareness of the workers of Alang Ship Recycling yard, ISO 9001 certified safety training institute is run by GMB. Under this institute, 1,11,430 workers from different cadres have been trained since 2003-04.
- Various activities listed as under are carried out at Alang Shipbreaking Yard:
|Sr. No.||Welfare Activities|
|1 ||Medical camps |
|2 ||Occupational Medical check ups |
|3 ||Promotion to family planning |
|4 ||Various vaccination camp |
|5 ||Gupt Rog Prashikshan |
|6 ||Syndrome approach to STD |
|7 ||Blood donation camp |
|8 ||Street play |
|9 ||15th August celebrations every year |
|10 ||26th January celebrations every year |
|11 ||Stress free living shibir |
|12 ||Women law awareness |
|13 ||Trainee’s bag production activity |
- GMB has also provided financial assistance to the Red Cross Society, Bhavnagar to take care of the health issues of the workers working in the Alang Shipbreaking Yard. Moreover, since 1996-97, GMB has provided financial assistance of about 2 crores to the Society.
- In order to provide immediate emergency services to the workers working in the Alang Shipbreaking Yard, GMB initiated the services of 108 Ambulance since January 2013 by providing financial assistance of Rs. 16 lacs to the EMI, Ahmedabad.
- In order to provide basic facilities to the workers of the Alang Shipbreaking Yard, GMB has planned to develop Housing Colony at Alang for which GMB has contributed Rs. 20.59 crores in the 1st phase.
- As a part of Independence Day Celebrations in 2013, various activities listed as under were undertaken by Gujarat Maritime Board officers and employees.
- Visit to deaf and mute school at Gandhinagar was organized by GMB, whereby female volunteers collected the fund from female employees of Gujarat Maritime Board and bags and snacks were distributed to the children of deaf and mute school from the fund.
- Visit to a school for below poverty line kids was organized where GMB officers and employees visited the school, distributed uniforms to children, organized lunch and also donated fans to the school as basic amenities.
- Apart from this, GMB has also contributed an amount of payment of Rs. 25,00,000/- for National Conference on Panchayat Raj and Rural Development.
- GMB has also released payment of Rs. 15,00,000/- as financial assistance for the state level celebrations of Republic Day 2014 held jointly in Sabarkantha and Aravalli districts on January 25 – 26, 2014.